I am declaring this the official salad of Summer 2014. It's quick, simple, adaptable and deliciously summery.
It is the perfect side to anything from the grill, can stand on its own for lunch along with a slice or two of cheese and a hunk of bread and can even be tossed with pasta or another cooked grain for dinner.
No fancy recipe needed. Just follow this formula::
- Core and cut tomatoes [beefsteak, heirloom, cherry] into bite sized pieces
- Sprinkle with salt [and pepper and garlic powder, if desired]
- Drizzle with high quality olive oil
- Toss with a handful of chopped fresh herbs [parsley, cilantro, basil, oregano]
- Let sit at room temp or chill for 30 minutes to an hour to let the flavors come out.